"40th Meeting Missouri River Basin Inter-Agency Committee" 5/18/1950, Missouri Historical Society

"40th Meeting Missouri River Basin Inter-Agency Committee" 5/18/1950, Missouri Historical Society

Keywords
None.
People
None.
The town of Marthasville was first known as Calloway's Post, named for Flanders Callaway, who commanded a fort there during the War of 1812. It was renamed Marthsville in 1817 by John Young who first laid out the town. Below the town, situated on the Missouri Bluffs, is La Charette Bottom. The name was derived from the fact that French settlers who began farming there used homemade charettes, or carts. Tuque Creek, just east of Marthasville, runs past the Bryan-Boone cemetary and the Callaway homestead, then through La Charette Bottom. Downriver some twenty-three miles, Femme Osage Creek meets the Missouri. It was named because an early French settler found the body of an Osage woman in the stream. The first watermill west of the Mississippi was built on this stream in 1801. The bottom below the bluffs here is called Darst Bottom, named for David Darst, an early settler. This was where DB's original claim of Missouri land was situated. The river here is known as St. Albans Bend. The hills here are aflame with color in the fall. During the War of 1812 there was a large and strong fort here, commanded by Daniel Morgan Boone. What is now called Howell's Island was originally called Howell's Prairie, on the left bank. Howell's Fort during the War of 1812 was an important fortification. "40th Meeting Missouri River Basin Inter-Agency Committee" 5/18/1950 in MHS. See xerox for excellent maps of the river and surrounding country.

File: MHS7.NT2



    Created: 8/3/2017 9:28:20 PM
    Project: Digitizing Daniel Boone
    Creator: Faragher, John Mack
    ID: 27-40-20294-25695
    Permanent Link: https://sourcenotes.miamioh.edu/id?27-40-20294-25695














    

SourceNotes
sourcenotes.miamioh.edu