Joseph Sinclair to William Medill, October 1, 1846

Joseph Sinclair to William Medill, October 1, 1846

Keywords
None.
People
None.
[Roll 418_171 - Roll 418_172]
Sinclair reiterates from his last letter that the Chief agreed to moving to the <Contraction camp.> After the council he held, he gave a full explanation to the Miami about what was required of them. They replied that <they had selected a Chief to do their {} for them, and they would be governed by his advice and directions.>
Sinclair says the Chief did not attend this council because he was too unnerved. He thinks the Chief is better now and seems to be acting with goodwill, but he is concerned he may <be deceived as there has not yet a single family come on the ground prepared to emigrate, and [Sinclair] is informed that some families have left their homes expecting to be able to hide from [them].> Because of this, Sinclair warned the Chief he is prepared to bring the families in by force if the majority of them are not prepared to emigrate within the next day or two.
Sinclair appends to his letter a paragraph regarding a company that the captain made arrangements with, if necessary, to use as additional force to move the Miami.
These last few letters from Sinclair to Medill show the firm reluctance the Miami have toward being removed. The threat of force being used spurred the Miami to moving, but it is clear that they are still trying very hard to put off the process. It feels like Sinclair/Medill do not have any sympathy for the Miami being removed, and are just trying to get their jobs done. It is clear that they have become more upset, and less tolerant of the delays from May to October.



    Created: 4/25/2019 1:13:28 PM
    Project: Intro to the Miami Tribe
    Creator: Cain, Madison
    ID: 57-445-26070-40453
    Permanent Link: https://sourcenotes.miamioh.edu/id?57-445-26070-40453














    

SourceNotes
sourcenotes.miamioh.edu